Whoa Mama

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Coooookies

I made a special trip to Wegman’s round about the middle of December. All of my cookie cutters, from the giant Christmas tree to the itty bitty candy cane are still in my father-in-law’s garage in CT. I had made homemade sugar cookie dough the night before and Aidan and I bought in excess of $40 worth of decorations. For some reason Wegmans carries bizarre non-holiday-related cookie cutter shapes like honey jar, cocker spaniel and ballpoint pen. I did manage to find festive cutters in some hidden clearance bin. I was in business. Except life kept marching on and before I knew it we’d been to see Santa, done some collective wrapping, covert shopping, light spotting, tree decorating, along with the regular demands on our schedule and then the boys were returning to school. I tossed the dough, figuring even if it hadn’t spoiled that it was only kept alive by some unholy means.

Vowing to squeeze in some festive cookie, I made dough over the weekend and while Sam and Scott went tubing Aidan and Noah and I cut out 11 giant hearts. Then it was bed time. They each decorated one in the morning. I did one for Sam. They ate them one their afternoon with Gramma. That night I told the boys that if we had time, they could each do one before bed. I’ve never seen Noah eat so fast. He hardly spoke and was all (polite) business.

We decorated three more before bed that night for lunch boxes. One fell on the floor and cracked. Finally they did three more the following night and I did sneak an innocuous pink one without a sprinkle, extra grain of sugar or sixlet for myself. They ate these mountains of sugary, rainbow goodness, brushed their teeth twice and somehow still managed to sleep.

There you have it five days, 11 sugar cookies, only one fit for adult consumption. Stroke of genius!























0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home