Whoa Mama

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Guacamole


For a girl who is almost entirely Irish, I am don't suck in the kitchen. If you think about it, it is a minor miracle since my grandmother, may she rest in peace, served her roast beef grey and cut against the grain, sometimes after she thawed it out. 

I have a number of stand-by's. If you have ever had a crisis, I may have made you a lasagna. It is my go-to, made with love, comfort food. I have a mean chocolate chip cookie recipe, make muffins my kids brag about, delight in finding new things that go with goat cheese and have a BBQ menu that can come together for any number of guests in under 30 minutes. 

No exaggeration about this last one. Once we agreed to have my husband's family all at our house about an hour after an eight hour drive with the kids. The car engine wasn't cold before I had three side dishes out, chicken grilling and a tall sapphire and tonic.

Anyway I've had some baking victories 


I also do volume since all three kids have birthdays in two days.
















And some serious defeats



Patriots Cake with Black food color splashed on it


the result of a fondant attempt


By and large, what gets me invites to parties is my guacamole.  Again, weird, since it isn't like I came by it honestly. So here it is for any who have ever asked for it. It isn't complicated, but does rely in the fresh herbs, I think. Happy Summer!!


3 soft avocados
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped, color of your choice
4 or more garlic cloves, crushed
1 plum tomato, chopped,
6-8 leaves of fresh basil
Fresh cilantro to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Jalepeno, chopped finely, to taste
2-3 limes, squeezed

Peel avocados and crush by hand. Add remainder of ingredients, blending with potato masher, or better, by hand for better consistency and nice soft hands. Adjust any or all of the ingredients to taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home