Whoa Mama

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

big in my britches

It is fairly common knowledge to people who know me that I cannot make fudge. I make some absolutely phenomenal frosting or it can fossilize into a massive chocolate boulder. But despite my best efforts, I haven't ever made fudge successfully. fine. I'm at peace with that. I can bake some other terrific yummies. I can follow lots of complicated recipes and love whipping up delicious treats especially at the holidays.

One thing my friends and family will not be enjoying out of my kitchen is meringue. I have what appears to be a pretty straight-forward recipe for mint chocolate meringues [I think it should be a clue that I cannot even spell it]. But Twelve, 12!! Twelve egg whites later I've still got sweet, liquid goo.

Cecilia, HELP?!?!

2 Comments:

At 3:03 PM , Blogger Cecilia said...

You can have some yolk in the whites and it'll be OK. A dirty bowl is OK too, despite what my mom belives. It helps to use room temp whites, whip them a little bit until they're frothy, then start adding granulated sugar in a steady stream. Then you just wait and let them whip until you have meringue. It might take a while.

 
At 8:17 PM , Blogger Leah said...

I'm off to the kitchen to give these a try! For a woman that doesn't keep a cookie in the house 45 weeks a year, I develop a serious addition to baking during the yule. Stay tuned for results! Thank you for all the help and recipes :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home